Testing and quarantine protocols for returning to campus after winter break
January 3, 2021
Dear Covid Pass Users and Authorizers,
We hope that you had a relaxing break. Below are a few reminders about safely returning to campus, potential quarantine schedules, and testing.
Return to campus protocols
- Campus residents who have traveled and those who have not traveled but have socialized outside of their household+ should be tested as soon as they return to campus (or on the first available testing date) and quarantine for seven days. They should also continue with their regular testing cadence according to automated testing prompts from Atlas, so they can maintain access to their residence. Once a negative test result returns after the seven-day quarantine, the quarantine period will end.
- Those who live off campus and are Covid Pass users (employees, students, or affiliates) and who have traveled outside Massachusetts and those who have not traveled but socialized outside of their household+ should plan to work remotely (if they are able), quarantine for seven days, and test on the seventh day. Ideally, they should continue to work remotely until a negative result is received. Employees who cannot work remotely will report to work but should follow safety protocols (masks, social distancing, and good hygiene), remain vigilant for symptoms, and stick to their testing cadence.
- Those in Covid Pass who did not travel and did not socialize outside of their household+ (both campus residents and those living off campus) may have missed their regular testing cadence due to the holiday break. They should test the first day they are back on campus (or the first available testing date). Graduate students are encouraged to review new guidance about vacation time and quarantine.
- If the time between the last test date before the break and the first test date upon returning exceeds 14 days (12:01 a.m. on the 15th day), those community members must have a negative test result before gaining access to campus.
- Any campus resident who is unable to access their residence should get in touch with the DSL Response Team at email@example.com or 617-201-1821, or ask the desk staff at their residence to get in touch with the Response Team.
Health and safety reminders
- Be vigilant for any symptoms of Covid-19, even minor symptoms.
- Report any symptoms and close contact with a person suspected or known to have Covid-19 (if you find out about this after travel or any gathering) via Covid Pass.
Thank you and welcome back.
The Covid Testing Team
Testing and quarantining grid
|Resident type||Test upon arrival to campus*||Quarantine** for 7 days||Follow regular testing cadence||Test on day 7 of quarantine*|
|Non-traveler who socialized outside of their household+||Not applicable||Strongly encouraged||Required||Not required|
|Non-traveler who did not socialize outside of their household+||Not applicable||Not required||Required||Not applicable|
*Testing in addition to residents’ normal testing cadence.
**Graduate residents are encouraged to review new guidance about vacation time and quarantine.
+For most people, their “household” is the people they live with, but we know that throughout the pandemic, many “households” have combined with others to create social bubbles. If that social bubble (however you define it) is who you are gathering with, the quarantine guidance does not apply.