Reentry to campus: Students
Last updated: August 19, 2021
All MIT enrolled students must be fully vaccinated against Covid-19, or have received an exemption from vaccination, by July 30, 2021, in order to work, study, and/or live on campus.
Regardless of vaccination status, new and returning MIT students will:
- Get a PCR test from MIT Medical immediately upon arrival (Day 0).
- Test again on Day 4 and Day 7.
Individuals authorized to test using Covid Pass may take this test through:
- Unobserved self-testing kits, available at select pick-up locations on campus. Check Covid Pass for locations and times to pick up your kit and drop off your completed test.
- Observed in-person testing, conducted by MIT Medical staff, no appointment necessary, and strongly recommended for those new to the testing process. Bring your mobile device with the MIT Atlas app and your MIT ID. Check Covid Pass for available locations and times.
Students who are unvaccinated or have not been completely vaccinated upon arrival on campus:
- Will test as described above (on Day 0, 4, and 7).
- Should get vaccinated on Day 1 or Day 2 if not exempt (MIT Medical vaccination clinic dates and locations to be announced): students with approved medical or religious exemptions do not need to be vaccinated.
- Should act with an abundance of caution and limit indoor activities with others (especially eating) until fully vaccinated.
- Are encouraged to arrive on campus early, if possible.
MIT students who have traveled outside of New England for more than 24 hours or who are returning to campus after a prolonged absence must be tested for Covid through a PCR test immediately upon their return. After testing, individuals who have been completely vaccinated for Covid-19 (2 weeks after the second dose of Moderna or Pfizer vaccine or 2 weeks after single dose of Janssen/Johnson & Johnson vaccine) — and who do not have symptoms — do not need to quarantine while they wait for a negative test result and may resume activities on site immediately.
If you have questions about campus reentry, or any other Covid-related policies, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.