Quarantining after close contact
Last update: June 7, 2021
Vaccinated individuals who are close contacts
- Any fully vaccinated person who experiences symptoms consistent with Covid-19 should isolate themselves from others, be clinically evaluated for Covid-19, and be tested for SARS-CoV-2 if indicated. The symptomatic fully vaccinated person should inform their healthcare provider of their vaccination status at the time of presentation to care.
- Most fully vaccinated people with no Covid-like symptoms do not need to quarantine, be restricted from work, or be tested following an exposure to someone with suspected or confirmed Covid-19, as their risk of infection is low.
- The individual must still monitor for symptoms of Covid-19 for 14 days following an exposure.
Unvaccinated individuals who are close contacts
MIT requires a quarantine period of 10 days for unvaccinated individuals who are close contacts.
- During the quarantine period, individuals must actively monitor themselves for symptoms and take their temperature at least once every day. If an individual develops even mild symptoms or a temperature of 100°F or higher, they must immediately self-isolate and get back in touch with MIT’s contact-tracing team to arrange testing.
- Unless symptoms develop, testing is not required during this 10-day period. However, if any quarantined individual wants to be tested, MIT’s contact tracers will arrange for testing on Day 5 or later
- On Day 11, once the contact-tracing team has confirmed that the individual has remained asymptomatic, they will lift the individual’s Covid Pass hold.
- Upon return to campus, the individual should immediately be tested at Johnson Athletic Center or MIT Medical.
- Individuals must continue to take their temperature daily and monitor themselves for other symptoms for a full 14 days from the date of their possible exposure to the virus. If they develop symptoms, they should contact MIT’s contact-tracing team immediately.
If you have questions about quarantining after close contact, or any other Covid-related policies, please email email@example.com.